This post comes a day late because we spent Father’s Day in South Africa, celebrating the World Cup and joining in the worldwide support of South Africa as it continues to recover from Apartheid and to build a new democracy based on ideals of equality and respect.
Being in South Africa was a fitting way to celebrate Father's Day, as I'd first become interested in visiting Africa when Dad and Mom went to South Africa in the 1970s, while my brother and I--too young to make the trip--stayed with relatives in Oregon and Washington. Dad was doing research on Apartheid and its sociopolitical context, and his modeling of intellectual curiosity and his commitment to social justice made a lasting impression on me.
Dad and Mom came and visited us here in Zanzibar this year, and some things were very familiar to Dad, as on the trip he and I made to the University of Dar es Salaam and to various government offices from which I needed research permits. Some things, though, were new, such as Calvin's taxonomies of crabs and Oscar's intricate "paper video games."
I want also say happy Father’s Day to Brady. We’ve had some really wonderful family times here this year, and I can’t imagine a better partner to have shared this time with, or a better father to help the kids enjoy and get the most out of this year.
Brady has modeled curiosity and has shared his knowledge of many things, from Premier League Soccer to little insects and other critters we've encountered.
Out of love for our boys, he has unselfishly given--among other things, the watch off his wrist and the limelight after he caught his first deep sea fish.
And he has enjoyed and played with our boys, helping them to grow into the fun, curious kids that they are.
Happy Father's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment