Saturday, June 26, 2010

Lesotho and Swaziland

(This post was written by Calvin.) Swaziland and Lesotho are both countries next to South Africa that are not part of South Africa because they fought off the Zulu tribes and stayed independent.  You have to go through immigration and customs to visit them because Swaziland and Lesotho are both their own countries even though they are much smaller and are nearly surrounded by South Africa.

In Lesotho, there are pretty much only villages, snow, sheep, and good bread.  We got there by going up a very steep road called Sani Pass. If you go to the top of Sani Pass and you’re cold or thirsty, you can get hot chocolate and tea. You should bring a coat in wintertime as it 30 degrees F. We were going to hike up a peak called Hodgson’s Peak, but it was way too cold and was too snowy to see, so we just went to Sani Top, visited a hut, and came back down.







Swaziland is much more interesting than Lesotho and it has rock art from San bushmen and a waterfall hiking trail.  Oscar and I liked climbing around on rocks on the trail, but people who mind getting hurt should be careful. I got a scratch on my face when I hiked there but I don’t think other people would get hurt unless they try to polevault on the rocks with a big stick like I did! There are lots of antelope there that are called blesbok, and we also saw a wildebeest and zebra. If you’re a birdwatcher, you can see a bird called a mousebird.  It’s called a mousebird because it’s a primitive bird that has very soft, thick feathers and it looks kind of like a mouse with a long tail. They’re not very good at flying.





No comments:

Post a Comment