

(This post was dictated by Calvin.)
I am writing a post about a couple of the eight kinds of crabs we've seen in Zanzibar.
There are a lot of hermit crabs, like the one I'm holding in this picture (or, really, he's holding on to me). Hermit crabs are crabs that live in shells that have been discarded by other animals. I found one land hermit crab that was in a clam shell. This was unusual because usually they live in conch or snail shells. Clam shells are flat and are softer than conch or snail shells; that's because conches and snails have softer bodies than clams do. I think the harder shell is better for hermit crabs, and it's easier for them to cling onto and hide in the twisted shells. But the clam shell makes it easier for the hermit crab to move, and hermit crabs also can protect themselves with their exoskeletons, so maybe that hermit crab had a good idea, after all.
Not many of the hermit crabs are big. Most of them are perhaps an inch long, although you may find rare bundles of .1 centimeter crabs, which look like baby shrimp. I found one of them that was moving out of its shell. When you pick up a hermit crab, some cling onto you for shelter against what they think are waves but is really the wind. Most hermit crabs live in the water, although some live on land and eat leaves. The vary in color from red and white striped to green and white. Land crabs are usually white.
There are also some crabs called camouflage crabs, because they look like the sand. Their pinchers are like wings, so they don't look like pinchers. They hide their leges underneath themselves. I'm very lucky I saw this one that Daddy's holding in the picture. They usually dig under the sand to disguise themselves even more.
No comments:
Post a Comment