Now that we’ve been here a while, we’re completely used to Tanzanian money. When someone says that, say, a garbage pail costs “elfu kumi” (10,000), I no longer blink. I think the cheapest item I’ve seen here has cost ishirini (20) Tanzanian shillings (Tsh), and that was a book of matches.
While I’ve gotten over the sticker shock at all of those zeroes, I am still stunned by the discrepancies in cost between my “regular” life and life here. I recently needed to fill out a residency application, and the immigration clerk was walking me through the form and filling in the form for me. There’s a line that asks for “Particulars of means (house, property, income, etc. full details required).” I paused to think: How much is our house, property, and income worth at the current rate of exchange (roughly $1 buys 1320 Tsh)? Clearly, we’re millionaires in Tanzanian shillings. After waiting for a second, the clerk said, “It’s okay; you have enough.”
So how much is enough? To give you a sense of what life in Zanzibar costs, here is a list of what 200,000 shillings ($149.25) can buy:
- 50-70 kangas (colored cloths), depending on how well the purchaser bargains, or
- 20 dinners at our favorite Indian restaurant, or
- 133 child’s portion vegetarian Zanzibar pizzas at the night market, or
- 333 bottles of mineral water, or
- 1000 mangoes, or
- 800 rides on the dala-dala (bus), or
- 4000 photocopies, or
- 400 laser printed pages, or
- 1 overnight getaway to a tourist resort, including meals and snorkel trip, or
- 4% of a year’s tuition at the school where expatriate children (including ours) attend, or
- 1 year’s tuition at my university colleague’s private elementary school, or
- 1 emergency appendectomy at the good local hospital (not the free hospital), during which our friend’s wife and mother to his children died
How much is enough?
Wow. My cousin felt this way too, after returning from climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. Sobering, indeed.
ReplyDeleteexcellent summary of currency value, exchanges, and purchasing power ... wow. makes what we spend here in America so trivial (of course)
ReplyDelete